Browns’ Nick Chubb regrets scoring late landing earlier than Jets’ comeback
NEWNow you can take heed to Fox Information articles!
All of the Cleveland Browns wanted was a primary down.
The New York Jets had zero timeouts and had been down a landing with 2:02 left within the sport. The Browns handed it off to Nick Chubb who received that first down, however he juked a defender for 2 extra yards to attain his third landing of the sport, making it 30-17 Browns.
Recreation over, proper? Nicely …
On 2nd and 1 from the Jets’ 34-yard line, Joe Flacco discovered a large open Corey Davis for a 66-yard landing. Greg Zuerlein’s further level gave the Jets the backdoor cowl. However the Jets went for an onside kick, recovered it and marched once more. This time, Flacco discovered rookie Garrett Wilson for the game-tying landing — his second of the day — and Zuerlein nailed the game-winning PAT.
Had Chubb went down in need of the purpose line, the Browns might have taken a knee thrice till the clock hit zero. As a substitute, the Jets scored 14 factors within the ultimate 1:55 of the sport.
ESPN’s win-probability calculator gave Cleveland a 99.9 % probability of successful. The 0.1 % prevailed.
“I most likely shouldn’t have scored proper there, truthfully, wanting again at it,” Chubb mentioned. “It price us the sport.”
Absolutely, it does not all fall on Chubb — the protection allowed 128 passing yards to a 37-year-old backup within the ultimate 1:55 of the sport.
“Lots of issues went mistaken not only one factor,” the operating again mentioned. “However collectively as a unit, as a workforce, we might have all accomplished issues totally different, however it’s solely an issue as a result of we didn’t win. So, I most likely ought to have went down.”
From Week 9 of 2001 by way of Week 1 of this season, groups had been 2,229-0 when main by at the very least 13 factors within the ultimate two minutes.
It was, no hyperbole, one of many best comebacks in NFL historical past.
Chubb famous that it is fairly troublesome to go from full-speed forward to a useless cease in simply two yards, however he says he “most likely might have” gone down.
Fantasy homeowners rejoiced — Browns followers definitely didn’t.